This module allows students (grades 6-8) to participate in novel, hands-on activities focusing on Soil & Water concepts. As in the first module of the JMG Level 2 series, Operation Thistle, the Operation W.A.T.E.R. (Water and the Earth’s Resources) combines Teacher/Leader Guide and reproducible pages of independent student “handbook” activities into a single book. This premier program encourages youths to take part in group learning experiences and service projects in their community.
Dr. Thistle is on the Run! Can You Catch Him?
Join the JPI Team in another urgent mission to defeat the evil Dr. Thistle! Students will work as a group to complete lessons in each of learning concepts in the guide then work independently to complete activities which are found within the mission briefs and mission option pages. By completing these missions, student can help track Thistle as he tries to escape and ultimately foil his twisted plans while reinforcing concepts learned in the group setting.
Read the Roots (pg. 20)
Soils & Water Certification
Youth can earn certification as a Junior Master Gardener in Level 2 – Soils & Water by completing these minimum requirements:
- Belong to a registered JMG group.
- Complete 1 group activity for each of the eight learning concepts.
- Complete 1 independent activity for each of the eight learning concepts.
- Complete 1 activity from the Life Skills and Career Exploration section of this curriculum.
- Complete 1 service learning/leadership development project.